Architecture is undoubtedly the field in which I express myself the most in photography, and this for many years.
Black & white allows me to create images with a strong visual impact, thanks to high contrasts and a wide range of shades of grey. Over the years, while I was learning more about Adobe Photoshop, I was also looking for my own solutions to give my images a very strong atmosphere. You can find some examples in my portfolio.
Colour allows me to express myself in a different way, creating different worlds and trying to bring a personal touch to them. I have always liked strong colours. Also, colours always offer many possibilities for harmonious combinations.
This workshop will allow you to approach and learn many technical and creative points. The 2 courses offer an excellent complementarity, Indeed, certain techniques are approached in one course, and others in the other course. This complementarity will allow you to acquire a global vision and an important technical background.
Workshop content :
Black & White Architecture :
(Sunday 12 June 2022)
- Introducing this image style : we will explain in a few words our technical and creative approach to these monochrome images.
- Shooting conditions : We'll give you tips to get the best images to do the initial retouching, starting in the best conditions.
- File development in Camera Raw : The raw file, commonly referred to as "raw", is the most complete, since not processed by definition, it is from this one that we will make the basic adjustments. Also, here are some interface preference settings, regarding the opening of files in general in Photoshop.
- Opening the image in Photoshop : at this point, some additional adjustments will be made to the image.
- Interface settings : We'll also make some interface adjustments. These will be useful in general, but especially to work on the type of image that interests us here. In particular, we will explain the image straightening techniques, which are often very useful in architectural photography.
- The necessary tools : we will review the main tools we will use for creation (including: selection tools, layer masks, setting layers, smart objects and filters). If the possibilities and choices are varied in the use of Photoshop, we will offer you simple and effective choices here.
- Conversion of the image to black and white : here we will tell you two methods, as well as the necessary settings.
- Preparation of selections : this is where the creative process will begin. Here you will learn to make your choices, selecting different areas of the image, and thus preparing it for the next steps.
- Creating light: you will learn the different techniques that will allow you to create the light related to this style of images.
- Replacing sky : if it is present in the composition (which is almost always the case), you will learn how to replace it, and give it different effects (spun, etc.).
- Creating the atmosphere : at this stage, several techniques will be explained to you, in order to create the final atmosphere of the image. We will work here on the contrasts in particular.
- Corrections and finalization: this will involve making possible small retouching. We will also teach you two additional techniques, in order to fine-tune the atmosphere at the level of light play. Finally, we'll give you some tips to improve some aspects of the image.
- Image recording : choice of format in high definition and for the web.
Colour architecture :
(Sunday 19 June 2022)
- Presentation of this image style: we will explain in a few words our creative approach to this image style.
- Shooting: technique and advice.
- Composition: architectural photography requires a great deal of rigour. The elements that compose it, usually lines, have a particular importance, and also a meaning. The rules of composition related to architecture will be explained.
- Preparing selections: Here you will learn how to select different areas of an image, in preparation for the following steps.
- Working with colours: here you will learn how to place colours or modify tints, using several adjustment tools. The approach will be different depending on the starting material. The different approaches will be explained.
- Sky replacement : as mentioned in the presentation above, special attention will be paid to the creation of the sky. The sky replacement tool in Photoshop will be quickly presented, the idea here being rather to create one's own skies, and thus to study the technique. Here again, several approaches will be discussed.
- Creating the general atmosphere: in this step you will learn how to modify the atmosphere of an image. Whether it is by playing on the contrasts, the quantity of light, or the colorimetry, the different possibilities will be explained. They allow you to give your own atmosphere to your images.
- Finalizing the image: transforming an image often requires corrections at the end of the process. Here we present some tips.
This workshop will be an opportunity to learn about some of the filters in the DXO Nik Collection, as well as Luminar AI.
Questions / Answers :
During the different stages of the 2 workshops, questions may be asked.
Also, 30 minutes will be devoted at the end of the workshop for a question and answer session.
Course of the workshop:
This workshop will be held online (via the Internet), and live. The ZOOM video conferencing application will be used. The connection is established in a few clicks. You do not need to create an account or subscribe to Zoom to participate in the workshop. An invitation link will be sent to you by e-mail before each session. You will then simply be asked to download the application, in order to get the user interface. It is very easy to learn. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Video summary :
This workshop is accompanied by a video summary for each session.
It is recorded live during the workshop.
The video will be sent to you in MP4 format, via WeTransfer, after each session.
Working files :
The image files used during the 2 sessions will be sent at the same time as the videos.
Workshop leader: David Duchens
Dates and times of the workshop: Sunday 12 June 2022 from 4pm to 7pm and Sunday 19 June 2022 from 4pm to 7pm
Nota Bene: this workshop is only offered in French.