The Alexandre III bridge crosses the Seine and connects the 7th and 8th arrondissements of Paris. Nearby are the Invalides on the left bank of the Seine, and the Grand Palais as well as the Petit Palais on the right bank. The Place de la Concorde and the Champs Elysees avenue are just a few hundred metres away, making the bridge an interesting central starting point for a photographic walk.
The Alexandre III Bridge was inaugurated on April 14, 1900 by the President of the Republic Emile Loubet, on the occasion of the Universal Exhibition in Paris. It symbolizes Franco-Russian friendship, and it is Tsar Nicholas II of Russia who will lay the foundation stone on October 7, 1896. It has been listed as a historical monument since 1975.
Due to traffic problems at the time, the construction of a new bridge was planned around 1880. May 28, 1897 marks the beginning of its construction. Its design and construction are entrusted to architects Joseph Marie Cassien-Bernard and Gaston Cousin and engineers Jean Résal and Amédée Alby. The bridge consists of a moulded steel arch of 107 meters (the total length of the bridge is 160 meters), and a width of 40 meters. 17-metre-high pylons are located at all four ends of the bridge. Bronze fames adorn their peaks. The Alexander III Bridge was renovated in 1998.
You can click on the thumbnails to enlarge the images.